And so, after the "roaring" success of Part 1, I present to you the best of the 1960s, from what I've heard, part two. Another smattering of albums. Enjoy them. I've kept this entry down to five albums, though, because summarizing the highlights is soon going to outrun my listening.
The Kinks, Face to Face (1966)
This album marked the beginning of the Kinks' "Classic" era, where they went from riff-rock to brilliantly fleshed out pop music. And they make the leap perfectly. Most bands trip a little the first time they branch out into a new style, but not these guys. It's another brilliant Kinks album. I'm starting to really love them. As a note, the fact that this album delivered is remarkable, given it's the first Kinks album I've listened to since The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society, an album I listened to way earlier, though it won't be appearing on this blog until a bit later. Brilliant stuff.
Paul Revere and the Raiders, Midnight Ride
I couldn't find Midnight Ride anywhere online to download, so I bought the vinyl off e-bay for ten dollars with shipping. I had yet to buy an album for this book that I didn't love, by happy coincidence, and Midnight Ride continues the trend. It's pre-punk pop-punk, if you will, and every song is a killer. I don't like the Monkees version of "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone," but the Raiders, who wrote the song, add something to it that was missing, something that makes me love it. And opening track "Kicks" is amazing. Highly recommend this one.
Simon And Garfunkel, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
This is a masterpiece of indescribable perfection. Really. You just need to listen to it. Track for track, it's brilliance. This was the album where Simon took all creative control in the studio, and it's clear why his reputation is so large. Bonus points, of course, for taking a big, dead-on shot at Bob Dylan with "A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I was Robert McNamara'd Into Submission)," a vicious mocking of the man's work.
John Mayall's Blues Breakers, Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton
This is a ferocious blues album. Clapton is on-form throughout, and tears it up constantly. It's just a great, great album, with some absolutely gob-smacking playing. I don't know what a gob is, but mine got smacked. If you like the blues or Clapton, or want to hear a great guitar player in top form (I'm not especially a fan of Clapton, but on this album, dear God, on this album...), listen to this album.
Johnny, cause I know you're reading this, make sure Mike knows this album. He does, I'm sure. But just check. Cause if he doesn't, well, he should.
The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
It really is as good as they say, you know. I headphoned this album, with a mono mix, and it was an experience. The mixing is superb, to say nothing of the songs. The compositions contained herein are amazing. Revolver has the best skeletons, but Sgt. Pepper's has the most amazing execution of the psyc vision. After this? The Beatles (The White Album), which I already know is equally as brilliant, if a bit more uneven, but that's not for a bit. And they definitely changed directions for that one. Sgt. Pepper's is the last time all four Beatles worked for one definitive vision, and it's brilliant for that.
Let me know if you listen and what you think.
As we say, Happy Listening!
Friday, February 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment